Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Finished: "Pass Me a Cupcake, Mrs. Cleaver" Apron

I finally have another finished object ladies and gentlemen! I made an apron so dripping with sugar and housewifey-ness it brings tears to my eyes. An apron with such characteristics must have an awesome name of course, so I present to you the " Pass Me a Cupcake, Mrs. Cleaver Apron."

The details:
Pattern: Simplicity 2592 ( A retro re-release from the Simplicity archives and still in print)
Fabric: Hot pink polka dot quilter's cotton from Joann's red dot section
Lining Fabric: A super sheer poly/cotton shirting from fabric.com
What I changed: The way this pattern is written it does not call for a lining fabric, but instead the edges are to be encased in bias tape. Thee packs of bias tape to be exact. Well, I had pinned on about 1/2 pack of bias tape and was sick of it, so I decided to line it instead. I simply cut out every piece, with the exception of the shoulder straps and waistband, in the lining fabric and stitched right side to right side and then turned.  I encased the shoulder straps within the bib by pinning the straps inside of the bib so they ended up on the outside when I turned. Easy as pie, er a cupcake, and it gives it a nice drape to boot.
Make again: Maybe one day. Since I lined it, it did take a lot of fabric for an apron.
Recommend to others? If aprons are your thing, then I say go for it!




4 comments: