Saturday, April 9, 2011

The "Bitter Housewife" Apron

After much sewing and even more "unsewing" I finally finished another apron! I have decided to deem this the "bitter housewife" apron, because I will never be able to look at my apron without a tiny bit of bitterness. I picked up this project over a week ago thinking it would be a fun and quick project that would take me two days tops. It did prove to be relatively easy, until I got to the horrid waistband directions, which sent me into a tailspin of despair. In the end I conquered and ended up with a cute little apron with a lot of retro flair!

Here is the pattern I used, Butterick 4087. Mine is slightly different than the envelope because I left off the ric-rac trim and also decided to eliminate the pockets. When I first looked at the picture I though that this apron had actual pockets which made me quite excited, but once I cut the pieces out they were just patch pockets, really tiny patch pockets.

Here is my finished apron. Tomorrow, I should be able to take some more pictures outside where there is better light. It has been thundering, lightening, and raining here for two days so I wasn't able to go outside for pics. Also, the fabric is navy with tiny white polka dots, which seems to throw my camera into a frenzy when I am trying to get a pic.

Happy Sewing!


  1. It turned out cute ... and you see why I refer to pattern instruction sheets as *suggestions* ... when I started out last year there were several sheets of "instructions" that went flying across the room to fits of army-strength cussing.

  2. It turned out very cute. Thanks for the laugh, I loved what you named it!

  3. Such a lovely apron! Despite the non-user friendly instructions, I commend you for persisting and having a wonderful outcome!

  4. Thank you ladies for all the sweet comments! :]