I chose Burda 8155 as the pattern to recreate the lovely little Kate Spade number. Here is my inspiration. It doesn't seem to be available for sale anymore, but you can see the Polyvore link here.
Kate Spade original: $123
My version: Around $10
Being able to recreate designer clothing: Priceless
Now, behold my version!
Here is a snapshot of what I did, what I shouldn't have done, and what I am going to do differently next time.
- I cut a 42 (16), which turned out to be quite snug. I let the side seams out to 1/4" which fixed the problem somewhat. When I make this again, I will cut all the pieces a little bit larger.
- I used sew in interfacing instead of the suggested fusible. Fusible interfacing is yucky and smells terrible.
- I hand basted the zipper in and then sewed.I will be doing this from now on as it went in perfectly the first time with no wonkiness whatsoever.
- I used hook and eyes as a waistband closure instead of the suggest button and buttonhole combo. This was out of necessity though. When I let out the side seams my waistband was no longer large enough to create enough "overhang" to be able to put the button, though I intend on using that closure method in the future.
- My fabric was a stretch woven from Fabric.com. I didn't think about the direction of my stretch when I was cutting out my pieces so the stretch runs vertically in my skirt. In the future I will be more mindful when cutting out my pieces