Thursday, January 19, 2012

Finished: The "Romance, Rekindled" Jacket

No, your eyes did not deceive you dear readers, I really have finished a sewing project! The jacket that I started way back in September of last year is not complete. All throughout the sewing process, I just couldn't decide if I liked this jacket or not. I had the lingering feeling that is was just too matronly for me, but in the end I really like my jacket, even if it is a bit of the extra conservative side.

Lets get to the details now:

Pattern: Butterick 5395 ( OOP now, but available on Butterick's website)
Size: I cut the 14 without any alterations
Outer Fabric: I believe it was some sort of poly blend suiting from Goodwill. $2
Lining Fabric: Crisp white taffeta lining from fabric .com. I think the piece was $3, but I also cut the lining for a skirt from it.
Notions: Four, 1" buttons and one package of bias tape (to finish the inside seams)
Directions: I found the directions to be really good for this pattern. I have never made, nor lined a jacket before, and the directions made it very doable.
Overall Conclusion: I am quite happy that I pressed forward with this jacket. I am considering making a bright red skirt to pair it with to make it a bit more youthful.





8 comments:

  1. Yay! It's always nice to get something completed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! I think the idea of pairing it with a bright skirt could look really good. Very exciting to finish something, especially when it is something complicated like a jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really cute jacket. Your jacket look better than the one on the model.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty.. and looks great on you. So proud you finished it. And I love the idea of the red skirt with it.. That will be a wonderful finishing touch.. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful!!! You did really well, I love the lines of this jacket! The color really suits you too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks so lovely! A perfect seasonal transition piece, and I think it would look fabulous with a red skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful jacket, Rebecca! It would look fantastic with a red skirt, too - a nice blend of fun and classic. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its perfect, well done! Nice to find you and follow you!

    ReplyDelete