Saturday, March 5, 2011

A Little Update

I have actually been sewing!!! No, I don't have any finished objects to show you, but I do have the following jumble of words for you to read, if you feel so inclined to stick around.  I'd love it if you would!

First, I did use up a few of my fabric scraps. I embellished a dish towel with a cute strip of fabric and a hot pink bow made from fabric. Plain dish towels are just so boring, ya know? They need a little pizazz, a little sparkle, a little something something. It's a good thing I don't own a Bedazzler. I'll show everyone once I make a few more and get a picture.

Secondly. I also made 2 pot holders, but I have yet to attach any binding to them. I think I am going to make my own bias tape as a way to use up some more smallish fabric pieces. One of the potholders I pieced together, using a "square" that I had drawn as a template. Should you ever decide to do this yourself, make sure that your square really is a true square. Start with a non-true square, piece four pieces together, and watch your square transform into a pot holder that belongs in a fun house. I'm still going to use it however, as you live and learn.

Thirdly, I thought I would ramble just a bit about the apron that I am currently slaving over. Before we go any farther in our apron discussion, allow me to show you the lineup of perpetrators.


She's the one in the top row, in the middle. That's the one that has been taking all of my sewing time and makes me want to pull my hair our of my head. Look at that smug look on her face. She knows that she wrote the most confusing set of directions ever known to man. She may look all sweet an innocent, with that devious smile plastered across her vintage red lips, but she's meaner than any third grade playground bully you will ever encounter. 

Ladies and gentlemen, let me announce to the world that I am having some serious troubles with this apron. First, the directions are so sporadic that you need a GPS just to find your way around. Since I don't own a GPS I must get out my compass, put on my finest sailor outfit, and transform myself into Christopher Columbus for a few minutes in hopes of landing on the correct step that I need. Much like the explorer himself I seem to not find exactly what I was looking for, but land on something else and deem it good enough.

 These directions are a hotter mess than Charlie Sheen. Once I do find the direction that I need I can't seem to wrap my mind around what it is exactly that I am supposed to do. I have muddled my way along so far, so hopefully I can do that a bit more and have a finished apron. For an apron, there are quite a few steps and a lot of pieces, but hopefully I can successfully complete it as I already have an idea in my head for another one. I have also cut into a prized piece of vintage fabric to make one of the full aprons,so fingers crossed that those directions have already completed the 12 program for confused directions.

In other sewing related news, I have learned that one should never ever lay their pincushion in a pile of thread scraps. Threads are attracted to a pincushion like lint to a pair of black pants.

This week I hope to finish the apron, or allow it to eat my alive, whichever comes first. Happy Sewing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment