Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Fabric Oh Glorious Fabric

Fabric, oh yeah I love it! But then again, what kind of a person who sews who doesn't love fabric? However, what I don't love is trying to acquire the stuff. Where I live the choices of brick and mortar fabric stores is almost nonexistent. We do have one Joann, which is in the process of relocating thus leaving it looking like an abandoned home economics wasteland. There are also a small handful of quilt shops and one upholstery shop which sells their remnants by the pound,. For apparel fabric however there is not one single independently owned resource within hours of my house. I do like to visit auctions, estate sales, and thrift stores to look for sewing stuff but it's not a reliable source to find fabric and notions. However, I can attribute my 200 plus piece vintage zipper collection to one single auction.  Also, when there does happen to be fabric at an estate sale or auction you must battle the seemingly sweet little old ladies who want fabric to quilt with. Let me tell you, from past experience, that these very women who look like sweet little ladies lose their charm when there fabric hoarding claws come out. Oddly, the same holds true for men at auctions who want the feedsack fabric that  you woke up at some ungodly hour to attempt to buy.  Let's move on before I show the virtual world how bitter I still am about that dang feedsack fabric.

As many others seemed to have already done I have turned to the internet to buy fabric. However, this solution isn't without it's drawbacks. Since I am still trying to learn the textures and weights and drape of fabrics it would be helpful if I was able to feel them in person, something that I can't really do on the internet. Also, I have noticed that there can be some pretty big differences in the color you see on your screen and what actually shows up at your door. So far I have only purchased fabric from 2 places: Fabric.com and various sellers on Etsy. Fabric.com seems to have a pretty good selection and a box from them should be showing up at my door within the next week. (More on that a little later.). Etsy sellers have lots of cute stuff, but it is almost exclusively quilters cotton. Cupcakes on my apron? Yes! Cupcakes on a dress for a grown woman? No way Jose!

Now, let's get to the good stuff. I know that everyone out there is perched on the edge of their seat wondering what delicious textiles are going to be arriving at my door in the near future? Allow me to show you. I'll take a snapshot when I get them to see if there are distinct color differences. Also, let me say that the thought of buying fabric without a specific purpose in mind terrifies me. She who dies with the most fabric wins? I don't think so! She who dies with the most Tupperware wins? That sounds more like it. Now, let's get to the goodies.

This little lovely is a cotton and polyester blend that I intend to make into a summer sundress. I intend on using a vintage pattern for this, which happens to be the wrong size for me. While I am sure that 99.9% of you will think I am crazy, I intend of learning how to "grade" the pattern. However, I use the term grade very very loosely as what I truly intend to do it slash it in half, spread it out some, and then add a bit to the side seams. Now, before any vintage purists out there freak out, I do intend on tracing around the pattern first in case I make a boo-boo. Since I don't have any tracing paper I have decided that I am going to use the back (white) side of wrapping paper to just trace around the already cut out pattern. This will also help ensure that I don't end up on hoarders one day buried under my extensive wrapping paper collection.

Next, I ordered, drum roll please, navy blue and white fabric to attempt to recreate the lovely Mod Cloth dress that I showed ya'll the other day. Since these are both plain I'll just show you a picture once I get them.

This class navy and white gingham is also on its way to my doorstep. I have a love affair with all things gingham, even if it does have a bit of a "down on the farm" feel if not done properly. I also have a specific pattern already picked out for this, to make yet another sundress. The lucky pattern for this fabric is going to be Butterick 5209. I intend on making the dress on the left.
 Next, I bought this oh so fabulous sateen to turn into another version of my navy pencil skirt. 


Next, I bought some lovely striped fabric that will hopefully become a knockoff of a skirt that I have saved on Polyvore,which I will show ya'll tomorrow. I also have a vintage pattern in mind but it has to be dug out of the closet. Thankfully it is already the right size.

Once it all arrives I will post a picture of me rolling around in nicely displaying all my new fabric lovelies. That's all for tonight but I promise there will be a post showing my vintage patterns very soon, granted that I get my estate planning homework done in a timely manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment